The tiny town of Rosseau Ontario: a simple, secluded spot nestled in the Muskoka area. This little community is definitely a gem for those who love to visit and explore unique and rural, small towns in Ontario…..no public transit, no shopping malls, chain restaurants or stores. That’s what makes the Ontario town of Rosseau so special.
Rosseau has always been one of my personal favorite go-to destinations, for a peaceful, relaxing day in the Muskokas. It is simple and it’s quiet.
Although the town is pretty dormant in the winter months, it really shines in the summer in all it’s glory and simplistic beauty. It’s mostly frequented by local Muskoka cottagers in the warmer summer months, and the rest of the year, visitors from the city on day trips and getaways, especially for a secluded romantic escape.
- Rosseau Ontario is about a 2 hour drive from Toronto
- Other Muskoka destination towns are quite close by, within driving distance: Huntsville, Bracebridge, Port Carling, Bala, Gravenhurst (approx. 25-40 minute drive.) These are great destinations, to round out a visit to the area, perfect for spending a morning or afternoon and checking out the sites. The Georgian Bay waterfront town of Parry Sound is less than a half hour drive away. (Check out things to do in Parry Sound)
Where to Stay
JW Marriott Rosseau — An upscale full-service Muskoka resort, 19 km away. Luxury plus. Accommodation, dining, spa, water-front activities, beach, pool.
Windermere House Resort – Waterfront Muskoka resort, with beach front activities, a spa, tennis, golf. Dining choices also available. 19 km from Rosseau.
Touchstone Muskoka Beautiful luxury Ontario resort in nearby Bracebridge, just a very short drive from the town of Rosseau. (40 minute drive)
Where to Eat
- Crossroads Restaurant – A local favorite, located on one of the main four corners, across from the general store, is the Crossroads. We love the food at the Crossroads: it’s fresh, tasty, and the service is impeccable. THE place to dine and chill in Rosseau. (705-732-4343)
- Teca – At the nearby J.W. Marriott, there’s Teca (Italian cuisine), Cottages (casual/outdoor), and a lounge/bar, about a 25 minute drive or so to the tiny hamlet of Minnett, where the Muskoka resort, the J.W. Marriott is located. (705-765-1900)
- In nearby Port Carling, there’s Loondocks (705-765-5191), Turtle Jack’s(705-765-1753) and more, a 35 minute drive. More Port Carling restaurants.
Things to Do in Rosseau Ontario
- On the main street corner in Rosseau, you’ll find the General Store. The authentic old store has been here since the late 1800’s. It’s a wonderful old building, with the look and feel of yesteryear. A visit to the tiny town isn’t complete without a visit to the Rosseau General Store.
- In the summer months, the Rosseau Market is held on Fridays, 9am-2pm, at the waterfront park on Lake Rosseau, in the heart of the town, starting near the end of June and running up until Labour Day weekend. There’s also a special version of the market on the Thanksgiving weekend. Vendors, food booths, live entertainment and a lot of old fashioned fun. It’s not uncommon to rub elbows when roaming around the market, with some of the rich and famous: we’ve stood next to Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, in the line-up for home-made spring rolls, on more than one occasion.
Next Market? Summer of 2017: First market TBA
- The Rosseau Classic Cruise: Next event: August , 2017. This is a fantastic, best kept secret for a day of enjoyment if you love the old classic boats and cars. The event is held at the beach area in Rosseau, same location as the Farmers’ Market. The area is filled with marvelous classic cars and the docks are lined with highly polished classic mahogany boats and other classics.
- The Shops of Rosseau: candy stores, antique shops, eclectic clothing boutiques.
- Swim and picnic at the sandy beach waterfront. Playground facilities for the kids, too.
If you’re just looking to get away from it all for a day, a weekend, or perhaps you’re visiting or cottaging in the Muskokas, be sure to take some time to visit the quaint little town of Rosseau Ontario…..there’s nothing quite like a day in the summer on a lake in Muskoka.
Map of the Rosseau Area
The map shows the location of Rosseau and the proximity of some of the surrounding Muskoka towns.